Processing Time

The Western Iowa Tech Veterans' Representative processes and submits certifications to the VA, on-line, within one week; during peak periods the process may take up to two weeks. Initial VA processing takes appropriately 4-6 weeks, so be sure to plan ahead.

Payment Information

VA Benefit checks are sent direct deposit or to the address indicated on your VA application. Payment is based on actual class meeting dates according to the class schedule. Payment of benefits usually occurs between the 1st and the 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. The VA Regional Office does not consider checks to be late until after the 10th of the month. Payment inquiries should be made directly to the Education Call Center by calling their toll free number: 1.888.442.4551.

Once you have verified your enrollment (monthly verification), allow two weeks for payment. Federal holidays may delay student verification of enrollment and/or your check.

Student Attendance And Avoiding Overpayment

  • If you do not attend class - you are not entitled to benefits.
  • If you stop attending a class, you must drop officially through the Western Iowa Tech Registration Office and report the drop to the Western Iowa Tech Veterans' Representative. Federal law requires that students report any change in enrollment status, which might affect VA educational benefits.
  • Any withdrawals or class changes may result in an overpayment. In order to prevent the possibility of an overpayment, promptly notify us of any changes in your enrollment. If you are overpaid, you will be required to pay back the overpayment immediately. The VA Debt Management Center in St. Paul, MN will contact you by mail regarding your debt and repayment options that are available.
  • When there is an overpayment, the VA will generally withhold future payments or ask for repayment of the overpaid benefits. Depending on the situation, they can take you to court, charge interest, as well as withhold future tax refunds, attach wages, put a lien on property or deny home loans.

It is imperative that you report any enrollment immediately.

FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Student Aid)

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line to determine eligibility for financial aid programs ( the FASFA and the GI BillĀ® are completely separate programs, and one does not affect or determine eligibility for the other.

Request Your Benefits Each Semester

Certification is not automatic, so make sure to notify the Veteran Service Office that you wish to use benefits before the start of each semester.

Report Any Changes

Always contact the Western Iowa Tech Veterans' Representative to report any change in your enrollment. Changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, switching courses, etc. need to be reported immediately so you do not end up owing money back to the VA.