You've registered for classes and you are ready to go. Here's your final checklist to prepare for the Spring semester.
- Spring online classes start January 11.
- Spring face-to-face and flex courses begin January 14.
Laptops for new students are available for pick-up in Room A230. Take your laptop to the Comet Learning Center (CLC) located in the library to have your laptop set up and downloaded with the correct programs.
- Spring online classes: pick up starting January 6.
- Spring FLEX courses: pick up starting January 11.
Cherokee and Denison
Pick up starting on January 5, by appointment. Contact the front desk.
MyWIT is the student portal with all of your college information. Log in to MyWIT to view your schedule, classes, financial aid, student email, and more. Your MyWIT login credentials and student ID number can be found in your college acceptance letter.
- Go to my.witcc.edu.
- Enter your domain/user name: wit + student ID number + @witcc (wit0123456@witcc).
- Enter the default password: first initial capitalized + last initial lowercase + birthdate in eight-digit format + witcc (Flmmddyyyywitcc).
- You will be required to change your password after your first login.
Need help? Contact IT Help Desk / email@example.com / 712.274.8733 ext. 1461.
Your college-issued MyWIT email is the primary way the college will communicate with you. Students enrolled in online classes have two email accounts, both in MyWIT and in Canvas. It is important to check both. Your instructor may communicate with you through Canvas email, but all other departments will send very important information to your MyWIT student email.
- Go to my.witcc.edu and log into MyWIT.
- Your email will be located in a card called My Email.
- Your email address is:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your email password: first initial capitalized + last name initial lowercase + eight-digit birthdate + witcc (Flmmddyyywitcc).
Books and Class Schedule
WITCC courses use a combination of physical textbooks/tools and digital materials. Your class schedule on MyWIT tells you what type of book you will need. You will download your digital books on the first day of class through Cengage Unlimited and/or Canvas. Physical books and other class materials can be purchased through the WITCC bookstore.
View your class schedule for information on where to get your books.
- Go to my.witcc.edu and log in to MyWIT.
- Go to My Course Work and select View My Class Schedule.
- Enter your student ID or social security number.
- Select the semester you wish to view.
- Print or take a screen shot of your schedule.
- Refer to "Comments" section. All comments may not apply to your schedule.
- Cengage,Digital Content, and/orCengage + Add'l Book Req: Class uses digital content through Cengage Unlimited or Canvas. You will download these materials on the first day of class. Get ready for downloading digital content by setting up your Cengage Unlimited account in the online orientation (see below).
- Cengage + Add'l Book Req, and/or Additional Equip-Tool Req: A textbook, equipment, or tool needs to be purchased through the WITCC bookstore.
- No Textbook Required: No books required for course.
- Extra Software Needed: Visit the Help Desk to load additional software for your computer.
- See Bookstore ASAP - Biology Kit required: Order kit from the bookstore as soon as possible.
- If the comments do not mention any book information check bookstore for required books
Need help? Contact the Comet Learning Center (CLC) / 712.274.8733 ext. 1334 / email@example.com
Use your class schedule to look up and purchase your textbooks on the bookstore website.
- Go to bookstore.witcc.edu.
- Select Buy Your Books in the left-side column.
- Select the green button that says "Please click here to order your textbooks."
- Select the semester.
- Select the Department and Course Number (found on your schedule).
- Click on View Materials.
- Refer to the "Publisher" section:
- Cengage or No Text Required: Class uses digital content through Cengage Unlimited or Canvas. You will download these materials on the first day of class. Even if a cost is listed, you do not need to pay for the book. They are embedded in your online class. Get ready for downloading digital content by setting up your Cengage Unlimited (see below).
All others you will need to purchase your textbook.
- Add book to Cart.
- Proceed to Checkout.
- You will need to create an account or log in to your account.
Online Orientation for New Students
View online orientation (called Exploring the Comet Universe) through MyWIT in Canvas for important information about your WITCC college experience. You will also create/reactivate your Cengage Unlimited account in online orientation. Orientation is a non-credit, non-graded, mandatory course for which you will not be charged.
- Log in to MyWIT at my.witcc.edu.
- Go to My Course Work and select Canvas.
- Select Exploring the Comet Universe.
- In the left menu select Modules.
- New Students: Watch the First-Year Student Information module.
Cengage Unlimited Account
New students:Create your Cengage Unlimited account in online orientation, "Exploring the Comet Universe".
Returning students: Reactivate your Cengage Unlimited account each semester in online orientation, "Exploring the Comet Universe".
- Access online orientation "Exploring the Comet Universe" through Canvas on MyWIT (see above).
- After selecting Modules, select Cengage Unlimited Dashboard.
- Select Load Cengage Unlimited.
- Follow the directions on creating or reactivating your account. You must use your MyWIT student email.
- You will receive a "Welcome to Cengage" email. Select "Activate Your Account" to complete the registration process. Use the same device as when you created your account.
- Log into Cengage on the first day of class to download your books.
Tips on Cengage Unlimited
Follow these tips on downloading digital books with Cengage Unlimited:
- Your Cengage Unlimited subscription is included in your college fees. You do not need to purchase a subscription.
- You can create a Cengage Unlimited account at any time, but digital course content and books will be available for download on the first day of class. Your instructor will provide you with more information on the first day of class.
- Use your college-issued MyWIT student email (not Canvas or personal email) to create your Cengage Unlimited account.
- Download the Chrome browser on your computer in order to use Cengage Unlimited.
- Returning students must reactivate their Cengage Unlimited account each semester.
- Students are able to rent four textbooks at each semester from Cengage through your Cengage account on MyWIT (not the WITCC Bookstore). The cost is $7.99 for each textbook for shipping and handling. You will be required to return the textbook at the end of the semester or will be charged full price.
- Need help setting up your account? Stop by the Comet Learning Center at the Sioux City campus, or at the front desk at the Denison and Cherokee campuses for assistance.
Apply for Financial Aid
Complete the Financial Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), your path to thousands of dollars in financial aid to help you pay for college. View our tips for filling out the FAFSA or start your FAFSA application. The process takes 6-8 weeks. You will need WITCC Federal Student Code 004590.
Check Your Financial Aid Status
Once you have completed your FAFSA application, you may be selected for verification. That means additional information is needed in order to process your application. Check your Financial Aid status on MyWIT.
- Go to my.witcc.edu and log into MyWIT.
- Go to Finances and select Required Documents.
- Follow the instructions for supplying the documents needed.
Pay Your Bill
Pay your tuition bill online, in-person, over the phone, or by mail. Online payments and payment plans can be made on MyWIT in Finances. More information on payment options.
- Go to my.witcc.edu and log into MyWIT.
- Go to Finances and select Make Payment or Payment Plan.
WITCC photo IDs are no extra charge and can be made in Room A208 in Sioux City. Denison and Cherokee students see the front desk.
Download WITCC and Wayfinding App
Download our free mobile apps from the App Store or Google Play. Search for "Western Iowa Tech CC" and "Western Iowa Tech Wayfinding."
We are maintaining our current safety measures to keep our campus healthy from COVID-19. Our traditional face-to-face classes have transitioned to FLEX courses. FLEX courses deliver the maximum amount of course material in-person with some virtual learning. For your safety, masks are required while on campus. For updated information, please visit our COVID-19 resource page.