Step 1: Has the incident been reported to the Security Department or person listed as a contact for reporting crimes?
- Yes - Completion of a CSA Crime Report is NOT required; refer student, faculty, or staff member to appropriate services if necessary.
- No - Continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Does the incident fall under one of the required crime reporting areas of the Clery Act (see Definitions)?
- Yes - Reported incident is a : homicide; robbery; sex offense; arson; aggravated assault; burglary; motor vehicle theft; bias-based/hate crime; weapon violation; drug violation; or liquor law violation. If so, continue to Step 3.
- No - Completion of a CSA Crime Report is NOT required; refer student, faculty or staff member to appropriate services if necessary.
Step 3: Where did the incident take place?
- On campus, building or property - continue to Step 4
- On campus; residence hall - continue to Step 4
- Off campus; public property adjacent to campus - continue to Step 4
- Off campus; college leased/controlled space - continue to Step 4
- Off campus; no affiliation with Western Iowa Tech Community College property, not adjacent to campus - completion of CSA incident report is NOT required; refer student, faculty, or staff member to appropriate services if necessary
Step 4: Document and provide specific incident information on the CSA Incident Report Form. If you are unsure if the incident meets Clery Act reporting requirements, always report it.
Step 5: Refer student, faculty, or staff member to appropriate services if necessary. Disclose to the reporting party that you are a CSA - continue to Step 6.
Step 6: Review the sample CSA Disclosure Statement with the reporting party (see below).
As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for Western Iowa Tech Community College. At a minimum, I am required to report non-personally identifiable details of this incident to College officials for data gathering and reporting purposes. If you request confidentiality, your name, the names of others involved in the incident, and any details that could identify you or others, will not be included in the report.
The completed report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to see a copy of the report and help me fill it out?
Step 7: Fill out the CSA Incident Report Form and submit it. If you have any questions, contact the Safety and Security Supervisor.
Western Iowa Tech Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other protected basis as defined in Iowa or federal law as amended from time to time in its educational programs, activities, admission procedures or employment practices. Individuals who believe they have been discriminated against may file a complaint through the College's Grievance or Complaint Procedures. Complaint or Grievance Forms and Procedures may be obtained from the WITCC Human Resources Department, Dr. Robert H. Kiser Building, Room A242, (712) 274-6400, Ext. 1220.
View our Privacy Statement