High School Equivalency
As of July 1st, 2018, the state of Iowa offers three options to obtain a high school equivalency diploma for people at least 16 and 9 months of age:
- The HiSET® exam, which is based on Common Core Standards.
- Complete remaining high school credits by transferring in existing credits from another high school.
- Based on completion of a postsecondary degree from the U.S. or another country.
- Please plan to attend enrollment for a maximum of three hours.
- Students under age 19 will need to come in prior to enrollment to fill out additional paperwork.
- Students will be required to attend morning, evening, or online classes.
- Even when studying online, students are required to come in the classroom to take all assessments and tests.
This program is for students who are serious and committed to their education.
- The HiSET consists of five subject areas: Reading, Writing, Social Studies, Science and Math.
- Students must pass all five subtests prior to receiving their High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Before taking HSED official tests, students must pass the Official Practice Test (OPT) in each subject area. OPTs are administered by an instructor in the classroom.
Coursework will depend on the remaining credits that the students has left to complete, based on his or her high school transcript.
- No class fees.
- Students will be required to purchase the books
- The cost of the HiSET test is $53.75 for all five subjects (for the computer-based test).
- Assistance may be available for students who are unable to pay for the testing fee & books.
- Accommodations are available for students with disabilities and health-related needs
- All HiSET® accommodations are processed through the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- Copies of your diploma can be ordered through www.DiplomaSender.com.
- First high school equivalency transcript and diploma ordered are free. Additional credentials are $15 per document.
- Testing is available in Sioux City, Cherokee and Denison.
- Testing in Spanish is available in Sioux City, and Denison.
A high school equivalency diploma can increase your lifetime earnings, but don't stop there! In Iowa, residents with college degrees earn almost twice as much as adults with a high school diploma or less. You will receive a $500 scholarship once you register for WITCC to start your college degree.
4647 Stone Avenue
Robert H. Kiser, A424
M & Th 4pm - 8pm
S 8am - 12pm
M-Th 8am - 7pm
F 9am - noon
200 Victory Drive
M & W 5:30pm - 8:30pm
11 N 35th Street
M 6pm - 8pm
T 11am - 1pm, 6pm - 8pm
W 11am - 1pm, 6pm - 8pm
Th 11am - 1pm